Taking The Dog

Well, it’s 3:00 PM on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 and I’m sitting in the [old] St. George Branch of the Washington County Library. I’ll be leaving tonight on the Greyhound for Sick City, Idaho. To be technical, I’ll be leaving tomorrow morning at 1:25 AM or so.

I say good riddens to Satan George, Utah. After coming to the library nearly every day for the past 2 years, I miss that, and I’ll never get to see the inside of the new building. But then again, with all the illegal things the librarians do here, I won’t miss it.

Whether this move will be considered as jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, or climbing out of the fire into the frying pan, remains to be seen. But, like I tell everyone, I am going to assume the latter.

I’m a little skeptical about this ride, I have never taken the bus, and the closest destination I could buy is fifty miles away from Sick City. I may end up having to walk. Having that in mind, I have ditched just about everything I have accumulated these past two years. Not to mention, I had to get rid of my 85 dollar canvas sleeping bag I bought back in ’01 on an elk-hunting trip. I loved that bag, but it’s gone now.

What you possess posses you. I rolled into work this morning a cumulated 207 pounds, and I had a friend drive me back to get the last of it. I thinned everything into what I hope is two carry-on bags. This way, if I can get off the bus in or near Sick, I can just walk off the bus without worrying about any checked baggage, which I have been informed stays on the bus until the ticket destination. Also, if I do have to walk a great deal, I’m not going to want the weight of a lot of what I left. Everything I owned is replaceable.

I’m also concerned about being dehydrated tonight while on the bus. I’ll be having a good meal this evening, which is bound to dehydrate me. I’ll see how things go. When I get to where I’m going, I’ll tag the details onto this post.

Well, that was then. As it turns out, I had a good trip. The best part about that day was the send-off a friend and her son and daughters gave me. It was so awesome! We had an excellent meal-chicken fettucini, salad, rolls, and brownies, some with nuts, some without-then, we watched Bruce Almighty, which I had never seen before.

After the movie, the girls and I played Uno and then Monopoly. We had a really B-A-U-tiful time and I’m so grateful to all of them. I wish I could have been friends with these ladies for the past two years. I want at least a dozen daughters just like them. I want a wife just like them too.

Well, my first Greyhound bus ride was alright. I have no complaints, other than the fact that I just couldn’t sleep very well, but what can you expect. As it turns out, I didn’t have to worry about dehydration or having to walk much. Even though the route usually goes up and around Preston from Logan then McCammon, the bus driver was willing to go the other way and drop me off on the off-ramp for Sick City, Idaho.

I walked a couple blocks and lo-and-behold, one of my littles sisters drove up and asked if I needed a ride. She was down visiting from Wyoming with her kids, so I got an awesome reception too.

I am now living in Sick City, Idaho. Fire or frying pan? Only time will tell.

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap